Join us on Saturday, April 24th 10:30am - 12pm. Zoom Link: Click Here.
Chef Erin is hosting a Zoom cook-a-long and preparing a school favorite! We’ll be making the ever-popular Tomato Basil Soup, from scratch, together. Set aside simple ingredients and equipment in advance and join other Wasatch families for a ton of delicious fun!
RSVP to our Facebook event page and we'll see you on Zoom. Don’t forget your apron!
What you will need to cook along:
Tomato Basil Soup
This classic favorite is paired with a grilled cheese sandwich, of course!
Equipment: soup pot, blender or hand immersion blender (recommended) and a small saucepan (if using soy milk)
1TB olive oil
1TB butter or vegan margarine
1 small/medium yellow onion, diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2-3 stalks of celery (can include leaves) diced
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1 TB Italian seasoning
1 TB sugar (white or brown)
½ cup water
4 cups tomato juice
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes, or 1 14.5 oz can
Fresh basil 3-5 large leaves, chopped
1 ½ cup of half & half, (coconut milk or soy milk to keep it vegan)
1. In a medium-sized stockpot or soup pot, melt oil and butter/margarine on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and celery. Cover, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
2. Add salt, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Add water, canned tomato, tomato juice and sugar. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. If using soy milk, gently warm in the saucepan. Add milk or cream and basil to soup. Blend with a hand-immersion blender (if using soy milk slowly add while blending).
5. Serve immediately, with fancy-schmancy grilled cheese of choice.